Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Thirty-Something Birthday

Growing up, your birthday is somewhat of a big event in life, and when you grow up it gets less and less that way.  For some, that is how they like it, for me? I have to admit that I miss the days when people made a big deal about me!  I kind of go from day to day, with no one noticing me (at least, it seems), so I kinda miss the days when I was a big deal, at least for one day. The thing that I miss the most about my birthday's as a child is that I shared them with my Grandma Kemper, she and I had the same birthday, and we celebrated every year (that I can remember), together! Since she passed over 20 years ago now, it's definitely different. 

So there are some things that you should know about December birthday babies;
1) NEVER wrap their birthday gift in Christmas paper, or anything that looks "Christmassy", unless you would like your birthday present in July wrapped the same!  Nope, not even then!  Just don't go there!
2) NEVER think you can get away with getting one gift for Christmas and birthday!  Combo presents are a NO-NO!

I'm not gonna lie, having your birthday in December, STINKS!  I very haphazardly gave birth to my last baby on the day after Christmas, right there we know God has a sense of humor! But, never fear, I am an expert at this, and I'm thinking 1/2 birthday party, you know, in June!  Because you know, no one is coming over the day after Christmas for a birthday party! 

As for me, turning thirty-something, all I wanted was a hot cup of coffee and to sleep in, not too much to ask...you'd think.  Well, it didn't happen, I have a non-coffee drinking husband that doesn't know how to work my coffee pot and the kids woke me up very early. 

My family is so important to me, and honestly, I hate that everyone is so busy!  I want all cell phones and computers to GO AWAY so I can just get some face time in with all of them!  On my birthday I got to spend two hours at lunch with  my sister on my birthday and I think we could have taken another!  We never get to spend that much un-interupted time together!  As my first friend ever, I love her company to this day!

Every year I think, "This year is going to be a great birthday!"  But most years, not so much, and it passes, I think as an adult maybe I need to look at the year more as a whole, ask myself, "What am I going to do this year that makes a difference?", or in retrospect, "What did I do this past year that made a difference?".  I'm not talking about doing something so people will notice me, but I recently heard that people do not fear death, they fear that the world will go on and no one will notice their absence from it.  I believe this to be very true.

In the evening Rob took me to see the newest Twilight movie, and to dinner, our date was cut short by a vomiting baby and half the kids were up to greet us at home, so not much of the evening went as planned.  It is definitely the era that we live in now that I was so excited to see over 100 birthday wishes from Facebook friends that night before bed and that I only received one card via "Snail Mail", but is it also interesting that they one that meant the most was the physical card?  I think so, apparently I'm am old...fashioned!!!!

 

No comments: