Friday, January 20, 2012

Break In

Starting Monday night last week, I told Rob that I didn't want to do anything the next day, just stay home in my pjs!  I woke up the next morning to a virus on my computer, this was really not good, I use my computer for EVERYTHING!!!  Next I had to hustle out the door to get kids to school, then, because of the computer thing, I came back home to give baths and get myself a shower, then off to Faith's doctor appointment at 9:15, I got there just in time and they were totally on time and we were out of there in about a half hour!  I was going to go home, but decided to go ahead and go to MOPS a little late, I was home by 11:45 and walked up to our house with a kicked in front door. 
 The police took FOREVER to get there, I mean, seriously more than 10 minutes 
and I told dispatch I didn't know if the house was empty or not.  When the police finally got there and checked it all out I found my my home trashed, both flat screens gone and the Wii broken on the floor.  I was shocked that nothing else was gone, there was so many things laying around that I thought would be gone! 

Molly was there, I keep wondering if she was scared, if she ran up to these strangers, if she ran and hid under my bed, she seemed fine, but she has nightmares, which sounds funny, but she actually sounds like she is crying in her sleep some nights. 
One of the worst things for me was that they tossed our mattress, and went through the drawers, it is just really unsettling to know that some stranger who meant us harm had been through all our things.  I had a really hard time sleeping for several nights.  To keep the older kids from seeing the mess, I cleaned everything up before they got home from school.  I was really grateful for my sister and brother in law coming to get Faith and Zach.  Zach was such a big boy and hugged Faith while I lost it a little bit. 

We have a security system, but I didn't have it on that day.  I know in my head that it wouldn't have helped, they were so fast, the police said these guys are pros and this is their M.O., but I still feel guilty.  The likelihood of anything ever being recovered is pretty much zip.  $1000 laying around we do not have, the replacement of things lost will be awhile. This week we received a check from a friend I hadn't seen in 15 plus years, I'm so grateful to friends that show love in times like these. 

My MOPS were there that night, calling me within hours of the break-in.  They brought dinner, desert and breakfast, and a gift card for ice cream too, then another dinner for the next night, all within hours of the break-in!  The next day we received a freezer meal too!  That was such a blessing to us!

I was really unsure of how Grace and Ethan would take the news, Grace was okay, until she saw that her jewelry box had been opened.  Ethan immediately started crying and yelling, why and are they in jail now, and did they take Jim's (our neighbor) stuff too!  Zach told my sister, "Those people that took our tvs must have really needed a tv, some people don't have tvs, ya know."  He is such a sweet little man!

Since that day, I have had my ups and downs, I have been doing "craft therapy", using all my leftover craft supplies from Christmas break.  I will post pictures soon!  The first several days were really hard, I didn't want to be here, but I didn't want to leave, I didn't want to take a shower without someone else being there to watch the kids.  Lots of tears over a branch hitting the window while I was home alone, stuff like that. 

The first of our door "Armor" arrived today, Rob installed it right away.  We will soon have all our doors "armored".  Then, no one will be kicking in our doors.  I'm really hoping that those will give me a little sense of security.  Rob seems to be dealing with some anger over it, but isn't talking about it.

I haven't seen any after shocks in the kids, except an occasional nightmare that Ethan has had, other wise, everyone else seems fine.  I pray that is all I ever see.

Sitting on the mantel was a tracing of Faith's little hands and the front door had a metal plaque on it saying, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord".  I don't know why it struck me that those things don't phase people that do things like that.  There was no respect shown.  But I am glad it was only what it was, and nothing more. 

No comments: