Thursday, January 5, 2012

Faith's 3rd Birthday

We got up early on the morning of Faith's birthday, otherwise known as the day after Christmas, so we could get to my parent's home in Colorado as early as possible to relax and celebrate Faith's birthday with the whole family!  I would really like to say that that was the plan in the beginning, but....not so much!  Our baby girl, decided she didn't want to sleep in her bed and would not be persuaded to stay put, so, knowing that we wanted to get somewhat of an early start, after about an hour of trying, we gave in and she snuggled in with us. 

But sleep, she did not, and sleep, I did not, Rob?  Sawing logs like Darth Vader in his mask next to her!  I seriously hate that he can sleep through ANYTHING!  I was kicked and smacked by a thrashing little girl all night and finally, after 20 minute intervals of sleep from 11pm - 4am, I woke Rob, who had been sleeping pretty soundly since 10 and asked if we could just get up and leave, he was more than happy.  I knew he would be, he's always trying to get me to leave earlier. 

I thought I would sleep on the road there, again, not so much!  We did, however get there fairly quickly, even despite running out of gas near Oakley, Kansas!  Yes, we ran out of gas, correction, MY HUSBAND, ran out of gas!  I handed him the AAA card and didn't say a word.  Thank goodness the battery did not die while we sat there waiting, so the kids could still watch their movie.  Luckily it only took 15 minutes or so for AAA to get there, so no big deal, really, and we arrived at my parents house about 1pm! 

While everyone else was arriving, I finally got a nap!  Nick and Stacey had similar luck to ours, a somewhat sleepless night, followed by car troubles, except, the engine, not gas, and they had to be towed and picked up, so, I decided running out of gas was okay in comparison! 

Finally all of us were all together (minus Jada, who was "working" in Hawaii for the week) at my parent's house in Golden, and ready to celebrate Faith's 3rd birthday!  For obvious reasons, to everyone, it needed to be a Dora the Explorer party!  I am somewhat strangely pleased to say that I have seen well over 100 Dora and Diego episodes/movies, and the proud owner of many of them.  While Faith was recovering from having her tonsils and adenoids removed in August, we watched A LOT of Dora, and it has stuck!  So, bring on the Dora toys, pillow person, blanket, play set and stuffed animals, plus even new Dora and Diego books!  And a beautiful handmade scarf from Aunt Stacey with the love of Uncle Nick, I'm sure!

She did her very best to blow out all of her candles on her Dora cake, but I should have thought to put them all together!  Because instead of her spitting on a small portion of the cake, she sprayed THE WHOLE THING!  It was hilarious, and no one seemed to mind, it was all eaten by the end of the week!

You really would think that all of the kids would have been exhausted from all the travel, nope!  Everyone ran around and played till very late!  It was THE BEST sound EVER!  A house FULL of family to enjoy!  A great start to our week!

No comments: