Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Trying Times

I have been struggling (anyone surprised?), emotionally, I am doing my best to not fall to pieces on a constant basis, physically, I am trying to function on very little sleep, and a lot of work, spiritually, well, I know that this is horrible, but today I went searching our house, boxes and everywhere I could think to look and every one of the bibles that Rob and I had were lost in the flood. Both our NIV Study Bibles (gifts to each other), Rob's daily devotional, our couple's devotional that my parents got us as a wedding gift, and all my reference books. I am so heart sick, Rob and I had both written something special in the front of each other's bible, and my Dad had written the most beautiful things about beginning a marriage with God. I am ashamed that it took a week for me to go looking for them and I am embarrassed that I have been talking to, who am I kidding, crying out to God so fervently and not even bothered to see what He had to say about it. Through out the tough times in my life I had collected a lot of books, "self-help" you might call them, most of them I would call "God-Helps" books. Some of them I have shared with many of you even, "God at Your Wits End", "The Invisible Woman", "What Every Mom Needs", and "Watch Out, She's Gonna Blow", just to name a few. I guess I am just mourning yet another loss, or realization of loss, I guess.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Life has it's times of trial. Unfortunately that's the way it goes. My trials haven't been this deep (perhaps I haven't matured enough to handle it). God only send what we can handle.

What I have endured has taught me that all things are intended for the glory of God. They also happen to strengthen the person going through the hard time. Christ asked the Father to let the cup pass if was His will. He also prayed that the Father's will be done, not his own. Good things will come from the trial before you. Keeping your focus will allow the lesson and blessings to be revealed to you.

Despite the sentimental value of the bibles you owned, they were books and can be replaced. We are so lucky to have that blessing in the U.S.. God is with you still.

On the bright side of the "darkness" lies the possibility of a fresh start with some of your life. Sometimes the best growth for people comes when they "shed" something old and start new.

We love you all and believe that something(s) very good will come of all this turmoil.

Heidijayhawk said...

keep your head up seewtness!

Netsirk said...

I came across your story on cjonline.com, and I ventured over to your blogspot to check it out.

I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you.

Robin said...

Hello. I felt compelled to write to you. I saw your story on cjonline and then decided to read your blog.
You are an amazing family!!
The fact that you have have stayed strong with your faith thru all of this has inspired me very much.
I cried while reading about what you went thru. Your family lost everything, yet you still praised God. I admire you for that. Thankyou for sharing your story. It has made me appreciate all that I have.
My husband Chris works at Frito Lay and I used to work there too. It was nice to see that Frito was there for you in your time of need.
I will keep your family in my prayers.

Sincerely, Robin Osborn

Potwin Pottery said...

Winter, I saw the story in the Capitol Journal and recognized your name from Potwin Pottery. We missed you at the Tea Party last weekend but now I know why you weren't able to come! I'm so sorry... I would still like for you and your daughter to come in sometime to paint the tea set - my treat.
Please email me at email@potwinpottery.com when you need a break from cleaning up and let me know if are able to come in and I'll save a tea set for you...
Take care,
Christa Murphy

Anonymous said...

Winter,

Hi! I live right down the street from you, at 23rd and High. I read your article yesterday in the Capitol Journal, and then switched on over to check out your blog. I couldn't believe the horrible devestation you and your family have been through this past week or so. It is just terrible!! We too, had flooding in our basement (a total of 3ft of sewer/rain water) and it has been tough, but I can't even imagine what you are going through. During times like these, you just wonder what God's plan is, but you always know that everything does happen for a reason.

I see that you have 4 little kids. My husband, Branden, and I have one son, Logan, who will 8 months old this Sunday. I didn't know how much you lost in all the flooding, but if your little Zachary needs anything, as far as clothes, etc..., please let me know. I'm not sure what size he's wearing, but I would be glad to help.

Also, we, like you and many others in the area do not carry flood insurance. Who would have ever thought we would need it. But, we did have something on our Homeowners Policy that covers sewer backup. I just thought I'd mention it to you, since you said the sewage came out of your toilet/tub, and maybe it might be an option for you and your family. It is much cheaper than flood insurance!

Take care and keep your chin up! :)

~Holly Hulsopple~