Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Flood


This was the front yard of our home on Shunga Drive, Monday morning about 7 AM. I awoke to the sound of dripping water at 2:30 AM and stepped out of bed into a puddle of water that was quickly becoming a pool of water. It took about 30 minutes for our bedroom and Zach's room to fill 4 foot deep with water, mostly sewer back up because the tub and toilet filled and then overflowed even faster than the water came in the bedroom exterior door. We escaped with Zach in our underwear, Rob had a robe on, I had a t-shirt on. I thanked God for waking me up!In our living room we began to cry out to God, Rob prayed and I shook with fear and could not keep my eyes on the Lord, Rob prayed and I was comforted. I thanked God for Rob. We began making calls to alert others and find out what the extent of this flood was. Rob attempted to get to the truck and start it, beginning to back in out, the current of a the Shunga "Creek" picked it up and began to float it down the street, luckily it ran into our mini van (poor Lucille!) and stopped, allowing Rob to come back to me and the kids. I thanked God for giving me back Rob.Soaking wet and cold, all our clothes were under water and we covered ourselves with what we could find to wait. Finding that we were trapped in our home, we moved to the kids bedrooms upstairs and waited to be rescued. As I was nursing Zach I began to think about our neighbors and how we were one of only a few two story homes among many single story homes. I thanked God we had a two story home! About 7:30 AM a rescue raft came to our house and we all loaded into a rubber raft and were led up Mac Vicar, which was totally flooded, four foot deep in most places. This was Ethan's first experience on a boat, he was shaking from fear and being wet and cold. Zach was wrapped up tight and seemed oblivious to the entirety of what was happening. Grace and Keith joked that they had never had a flood day at school before! I thanked God that they were not afraid.
Even as I look at these pictures again and write this story I thank God that I still have my family.



3 comments:

Heidijayhawk said...

and we are all thanking god for you winter! keep strong!

January said...

Dear winter be strong and we are thinking of you and praying for you all.

Deanie said...

Winter,
This is Deanie from Sears Portrait Studio.
My staff and I are so sorry to hear of the flood and can't imagine your stress. I only found out today from the newspaper and I am so glad it directed me to your blog.
I am sure you lost so many precious memories. We would like to help replace any of your lost portraits. We will be glad to give you a CD of any of your sessions we still have available. If family or friends have portraits that we no longer have available we will give you a release so you may make copies of those as well.
Take your time and when you are ready please call us.
Just remember, If God brought you to, God will bring you through it.
I will keep you in my prayers.
May God Bless your family.
Deanie