Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hamburger Helper

Okay, so some may have heard this story, but to understand the current you have to know the past.

PAST:
My twelve year old, Keith, decided he was sick of Hamburger Helper, even if it was only the one time a week that I make it, usually Wednesday night (it's fast right before church). He made sure that he made a point of telling me this, via, rude comments and sarcastic statements. Well, I had enough of this when he made a few embarrassing comments in front of others about my skills as a cook. I promptly made the judgement that he would be cooking his own meals for a week. The guidelines were as follows; a meat, a vegetable and a bread must be present and he could not use any of the foods I had planned for meals, and he could eat no leftovers that I cooked, and it had to be ready to eat by 5:00, our family dinner time.

The first night it took him a half hour to figure how to open a can of green beans with the can opener, he learned very quickly the hard work that planning and cooking meals is. By the end of the week, I had a very sincere apology and he was very happy to eat whatever was put in front of him!

CURRENTLY:
Zachary has begun eating everything we eat, for the most part and one thing that we found he loves is Hamburger Helper (Beef Pasta), and as he was enjoyably eating this new found cuisine, I jokingly turned to Keith and said, "Zachary loves Hamburger Helper!", to which Keith responded, "He also likes to eat dirt!".

FACT:
Did I mention it takes three boxes of Hamburger Helper and 3 pounds of beef to feed our family now?

No comments: