Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4th

Today, I only had Faith and Zach at home, so we filled up the little plastic pool, turned on the "American Pie" Pandora station (it seemed like the thing to do today), and the kids played in the pool while I laid in the lounger pretending to work on a tan, sipping lemonade (I've really got it rough!)  The kids eventually talked me into getting in the pool too, which left little room to do anything but sit in it.  
But tickling ensued and then needless to say there was very little water in the pool afterwards.  It was a great time.
My parents drove from Colorado today, which meant, another holiday I got to spend with my Dad and Mom in town!  Tonight was really such a great night.  My little sister, Andrea (who is newly preggers) and her sweet husband, Josiah joined us for awhile tonight too.   
We got to discuss some nursery decorating and baby shower ideas 
(I'm SO EXCITED!). 
 Meanwhile, Zach and Papa played some serious "Sorry", and I think Zach may have even let my Dad win once (wink, wink).
Rob has found a new hobby in grilling, which I am so grateful for!  Until a few weeks ago, he had NEVER grilled before (isn't that just shocking, a man who didn't grill?), just never tried it, he didn't think he would like it, but desire for a grilled burger overcame him while I was still on bed rest from my surgery and he took it upon himself to try it, and the outcome was quite favorable, he likes it, he really likes it!  We did a traditional fourth of July menu for dinner, including, hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans (that I threw in a little leftover ham from the other night into=YUMMY!), chips (that is kind of a "DUH" in Rob's line of work), and watermelon.  Which Zach was the most excited about, and asked me three times yesterday about it after he spotted it in the fridge and then SEVERAL times today. 
 He even went so far as to say that he was looking forward to the watermelon MORE than the fireworks!  
His daddy now is convinced he's crazy.
Just before we started our fireworks, we had apple pie with vanilla ice cream, I mean, really, what else would we have for dessert on Independence Day?  I also had made some homemade-ish strawberry lemonade, which consists of concentrate lemonade, mixed to directions with six big strawberry cut up and refrigerated over night.  
It was SO GOOD!
Now, my husband, Rob is a bit of a pyro, well, he used to be, I should say.  A thousand dollars on fireworks before we got married was not unheard of!  He was very serious about his fireworks display.  His dream job?  A pyrotechnician.  I have only seen this huge display of his once, now, he is more financially conscious and we actually haven't spent any money on fireworks for the past two years.  We have been given one big set by a buddy of his the past two years and then just enjoyed the HUGE show our neighbors behind us put on.  I know he's a little depressed to not put on the big shows that he used to, you can practically see his adrenalin start flowing when things start exploding.  Maybe someday he can live that dream out. 
This was the first year that Faith had any interest in the fireworks, actually it was the first year that she didn't get scared and just think they were too loud.  This year she wanted in on that action!  So Rob let her help out with the prep work and even helped her to shoot off a couple.  She LOVED it, after every explosion of color in the sky, she clapped her hands and screamed for more!  
You KNOW her Daddy loved the sound of that.  
His "little red-neck" (as he calls her), sharing in his pyro obsession.
We really have some pretty great neighbors all around us, none with kids, but really great non the less, the ones behind us, really love July 4th, they have been celebrating for four days, but tonight was the big show, it was so great to watch the show with the kids and my parents
right from the comfort of our deck.  
The kids all snuggled up with my parents in the love seat lounger and Rob and I in our rockers, it was pretty perfect.  The kit that we were given even had these fun glasses in it that made everything shimmer and pop even more, very cool. 
It was after 10:30 when we called it a night and the kids were still begging for more, but as soon as their heads hit the pillow, they were out.
Rob and I agreed that this was the best 
July 4th we have had in a long time. 

No comments: