Friday, August 3, 2012

An Organized Home?


Here are my ideas for organizing the home, I searched for ideas, came up with next to none that actually helped me, so I have just gone out on my own to create something that I think is/will work for us.  I don't know that I would call us an organized home yet, but I'm trying, and maybe soon I can tell you we are?

This week I have been working on a schedule for the school year, Rob has been wanting this for a long time.  He is a creature of habit, but for him it's a whole different ball game than for most people, he gets dressed in the same order, undresses in the same order and his drawer with his work stuff in it is just so.  For instance, if I were to switch his wallet and his keys around in the drawer, he'd not only notice, but be very irritated.  It's just one of his little quirks.  I, on the other hand am a lot more random.  We always end up being so skitter-scatter during the school year, so this year, I want it to be different.  So this is what we're trying.   For instance...

Monday
5:00 Dad-Up/Get Dressed
5:45 Dad-Go to Work
Mom-Up/Get Dressed
6:15 Mom-Quiet Time
6:30 Kids-Up/Get Dressed
7:00 Breakfast/Memory Verse Work
7:30 Leave for School
7:40 Grace-School
8:30 Boys-School
9:00 Faith-School
11:00 P/U Faith
2:45 P/U Grace
3:30 P/U Boys
3:45 Snacks
4:00 Playtime
Dinner Helper-Grace
5:00 Dinner
5:30 Chores/Homework
6:30 Family Playtime
7:00 PJs and Snacks
7:30 Family Story Time
7:50 Prepare For Tomorrow
8:00 1st Bedtime
9:00 2nd Bedtime

Obviously there is variation from day to day, and the thing that stands out to me is that I will be getting up EARLY!  I HATE mornings!  Seriously, you don't understand, I loathe them.  I am really hoping to somehow change that, but I really just prefer to stay up late and sleep late, I am more productive in the evenings than anytime, most days I don't feel like I've really woke up till 7pm.  I HAVE to change that.  Bedtime is going to be earlier for Rob and I, he is very happy about that.  He would be in bed, sleeping by 8pm every night if possible.

I plan to start the early to bed, early to rise "thang" a couple of days before school starts, just to get everyone (mostly me!) somewhat used to it.  Along with my new routine, all of the kids will be doing daily chores.  They have all done something previously, but this is my more organized approach to getting everything done every week, instead of just when I can't stand it anymore.
 
Chores
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Load Dishwasher
Grace
Grace
Grace
Grace
Grace
Grace
Grace
Unload Dishwasher
Ethan
Ethan
Ethan
Ethan
Ethan
Ethan
Ethan
Wipe Off Table
Faith
Faith
Faith
Faith
Faith
Faith
Faith
Help Cook Dinner
Daddy
Grace
Faith

Ethan
Zach
Daddy
Vacuum Rugs



Ethan



Quick Sweep Wood Floors
Zach
Zach
Zach
Zach
Zach
Zach
Zach
Fold Laundry


Ethan/Zach
Mommy
Grace/Faith


Put Away Laundry


Ethan/Zach
Mommy
Grace/Faith


Clean Kids Bathroom





Ethan

Clean Master Bathroom





Grace

Clean Half Bathroom





Mommy

Sweep Wood Floors



Grace



Mop Wood Floors



Mommy



Empty Small Trash Cans


Zach




Take Out Trash
Daddy
Daddy
Daddy
Daddy
Daddy
Daddy
Daddy
Take Trash Cans To Curb



Daddy



Bring Trash Cans Back To House




Ethan


Dust Furniture



Mommy



Pick Up Toys Everywhere
ALL
ALL
ALL
ALL
ALL
ALL
ALL
Wash Laundry

Mommy
Mommy
Mommy
Mommy
Mommy

Vacuum Bedroom

Ethan
Grace
Zach




Laundry Schedule
Monday-Towels    Tuesday-Boys Clothes    Wednesday-Mom & Dad's Clothes
    Thursday- Girl’s Clothes              Friday-Sheets

Both of these are included in my Family Quick Reference binder and soon will be posted on the refridgerater also.  The Family Quick Reference binder looks very much like the binder below, but each family member has a section that includes their school calender, weekly chores list, insurance cards, shot records and medical release forms that are fill in the blank.  This is also where any school newsletters or birthday invitations are kept.  All the school calender and invitation information is also written on the big family calendar on the refridgerator.  

So, now you know, this will be my attempt at better home organization and maybe even bring a little peace to the current levels of cauos?  We shall soon see!
I guess also, while I'm posting some charts and such, I should let you in on my 5-Week Menu Plan that we have been using (and LOVING) since the first of the year.  This system I made, even has a binder!
In case you couldn't read it, this is the current menu that I am working with, I haven't decided if I will change it up in the new year or not. One thing that I will be changing, starting this week is I am swapping Mondays for Wednesdays.  Pizza night on the business night of the week is what seems to work best for us, during the school year, Wednesday nights will defnitely be the busiest.
Week 1
Sunday-Taco Bowls , Chips and Salsa, Corn, Spanish Rice
Monday-Pizza Night
Tuesday-Chicken and Stuffing with Green Beans and Rolls
Wednesday-Spaghetti Pizza, Garlic Bread, Corn
Thursday-Cheeseburger Pie with Green Beans
Friday-Pigs in a Blanket, Carrots
Saturday-Chicken and Noodles, Mashed Potatoes

Week 2
Sunday-Sloppy Joes, Tater Tots, Green Beans
Monday-Pizza Night
Tuesday-Beef Stroganoff, Rolls, Broccoli
Wednesday-Salisbury Steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Green Beans, Rolls
Thursday-Lawnmower Tacos, Corn
Friday-Baked Ziti, Garlic Bread, Corn
Saturday- Chicken Sandwiches, Carrots, Baked Beans

Week 3
Sunday-Tater Tot Casserole, Green Beans
Monday-Pizza Night
Tuesday-Chicken Nuggets,  Mac N’Cheese, Carrots
Wednesday-Fettuccini Chicken Alfredo, Garlic Bread, Corn
Thursday-Meatloaf Muffins, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Gravy, Rolls
Friday-Hawaiian Chicken, Hawaiian Rolls
Saturday-Chicken Enchiladas

Week 4
Sunday-Grilled Cheese
Monday-Pizza Night
Tuesday- Ham, Cheesy Potatoes, Green Beans
Wednesday-Bacon Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Carrots
Thursday-Lasagna, Garlic Bread, Corn
Friday-Chicken and Cheesy Rice, Green Beans, Rolls
Saturday-Pot Roast, Rolls

 
Week 5
Sunday-Chicken Fried Steaks, Mashed Potatoes, Rolls, Gravy, Corn
Monday-Pizza Night
Tuesday-Chili Dogs, Tater Tots, Carrots
Wednesday-Burritos, Chips and Salsa, Spanish Rice
Thursday-Chicken Pot Pie
Friday-Eating Out
Saturday-Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, Corn

This has really been great for us, I have found my grocery bill to even be lower, I am still couponing, but I am using a slightly different approach now, because I know EXACTLY what my food usage is for every five weeks.  It has cut down on waste too.  Instead of the five weeks following a calendar month, I just roate through the five weeks, if I miss a meal because we have plans to be gone (a birthday party or family's home for dinner), we just skip that meal until the next rotation.  

I have had far less complaints at dinner time and the question of "What's for dinner?" is no longer argued.  I was nervous when I started, because I have failed miserably before at keeping to a menu, but with a little more effort towards preparedness, it has been working really well for me.  
Along with my menu I made the 5-Week Food Inventory and Grocery List that tells me everything and how much of each item that I need for the entire 5-week cycle.  VERY helpful.
For my menus and grocery list, and each of the recipes for each day, having my recipes in one place has been really helpful too.
I feel like the variety of meals in our menu has been key to making this work.  This post has been a little longer than I first thought it would be, but hopefully it's helpful to someone, or maybe now you just know how much I LOVE to make lists, schedules and binders?  Either way, there ya go!
 

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Holy cow! We're not worthy! We're not worthy! This is awesome, thanks for sharing all this. I'm coming to your house for dinner, sounds delicious!

Winter said...

Awwwe, thanks sis!

Yve said...

Thanks for sharing your system I'm very impressed, especially with your meal planning. Its all so nicely set out too. Obviously you've put lots of thought and time into it - well done. You've inspired me to work on getting our family better organised.