Sunday, August 12, 2012

Zach's Angry Bird Birthday Party


My little baby boy turned 6 years old on Friday, I absolutely cannot figure out how that time goes by so fast!  He is such a sweet boy, so tender hearted and loving.  I can always count on him for a good snuggle.  He will still be walking through a room and just out of the blue, say, "I love you, Mommy".  He can definitely melt this momma.  


He prays to his Heavenly Father like I have never heard a child pray, he reads between the lines when he hears a prayer request and lifts it up to Jesus with an eloquence beyond his years. 
 I am truly excited to see what God will do with him as he grows into a man. 
He was looking over my should one night while I was on Pinterest and saw a picture of an Angry Bird's party and decided that was what his party should look like, so I took that and ran with it.  
There is so much out there, I am going to try and post all the links that I used, but if I can't find it again, I apologize!
I really like streamers and balloons and I think they make a huge impact for not a lot of money.  I don't use helium, just your standard, inexpensive, 9 inch balloons in bulk.  The Happy Birthday pennants were sew easy!  I found the Angry Birds font, I have no idea the name of the site, but it was free, and I just Googled until I found it.
It wasn't hard.  
I printed on letter on each piece of colored copy paper (all of which I already had), then I cut the triangle on my big paper cutter, finally I sewed with my sewing machine, all the triangles onto gross grain ribbon I bought at the Dollar Tree.  One spool did it all.  It made a great impact, I think!  The birds on the corners, I blew up on my computer from an image that I found on Google too.
The little labels I placed on the food table and also used for the thank you tags were from HERE.


I opened the saved file in my Paint program on my computer and inserted whatever I wanted on them.  The pencil topped Angry Birds that we gave away for party favors, I got for 79 cents on clearance at Walgreens, that was total luck finding them, I was THRILLED, so were all the kids that took them home!
Right when you came in the door, this is what you saw, Zach and Ethan got this "real life" Angry Birds game for Valentine's Day, so I used it for decorations, along with a collage of pictures of Zach, I tried to make sure there was at least one from every year.  I loved looking through all the photos to find them all.  HERE is the link for the printable invite, again, I used Paint to add my own writing, then I downloaded it to Walgreens.com and ordered 1-Hour photos, they turn out nice and glossy and totally professional, in just one hour!  
Angry Bird balloons around the window over one of the tables, 
I printed the faces HERE.
The cake table is an old desk from the garage, and yes, the distressing is real, from years of use!  I thought it was perfect for this.   Vintage Ball jars for holding forks, a white cake plate from a garage sale that used to be bright orange, and a wooden crate also from a garage sale.  The golden egg is on of those paper ones that I painted and it's sitting in a grapevine wreath.
The large Angry Birds that I used are plush and I also go them at Walgreens on clearance for just $2.99 each.  They all make noise too.  I baked the cupcakes and swirled some frosting on top, I thought it was funny how choosey the kids were about which pick they got.  I printed all the picks from HERE
I changed some to the number 6 in my Paint program.


The fabulous cake, I cannot take credit for, my very talented friend, Lynette, did this for Zach.  I am just amazed by her talent!  And it tasted soooooo good! 

For games, we covered cereal boxes in white paper and used a couple of Frito Lay boxes, along with some colored balls, we had kind of a life-sized Angry Bird's game!  The kids loved this!  
It was really fun to watch too.
The older kids set up the boxes after 
the little ones knocked them down.


Papa and Simon 
watching the fun.




Ethan and Zach in the Angry Bird's hats that Grace and Ethan found at the Farmer's Market in KC.  
They were so funny!

My brother Nick and his little guy, Simon.  
Is that boy adorable, or what?!?!




Opening presents.  Zach is like his Daddy, he LOVES cards.  He loves to get them, have them read to him and he wants to keep them FOREVER.  That is definitely unusual for a little boy.


Opening Mouse Trap, his new favorite game to play.  It has less pieces than I remember (which is good), and it is actually pretty fun to play!
Seeing his cake for the first time!
Singing Happy Birthday, then making a wish!
You HAVE to lick the candles.
What does all this get us?  A VERY happy, newly, six year old boy.  
My favorite thing was seeing his face when he walked in the house and saw all the streamers, balloons and other decorations and said, 
"Mommy, I LOVE my birthday!"



3 comments:

EllyMae said...

Winter - I love all your posts. This party idea was absolutely awesome!!! I wish I could find all those things on clearance that you do..... You are amazing!

Winter said...

Thanks Elly! It might sound funny, but I actually pray for stuff like that! He knows my budget won't allow for a lot of things I want to do, He seems to always provide somehow! :)

Hats manufacturer&exporter said...

This idea was so creative.
The children are very happy,This will be a memorable birthday.About the angry birds hats,i find a website to sell.very good.
http://www.hatsgoing.com