Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Legacy of Light

One of the factors of my decision to put the kids back in public schools again this year was that I want them to be lights for Jesus in their schools (Matthew 5:16 In the same way, you should be a light for other people. Live so that they will see the good things you do and praise your Father in heaven.).  With them being in a public school setting, it has made it all the more important to me that they learn all that I can teach them about the Lord, so that they are prepared to give an answer (1 Peter 3:15 But keep the Lord Christ holy in your hearts. Always be ready to answer everyone who asks you to explain about the hope you have.).  
Part of our new schedule includes a morning bible verse that we go over at breakfast, we started our school schedule on Monday, even though they still had a couple of days before school started.  I wanted everyone to get used to the new schedule as much as possible before the first day.  Today's verse was Philippians 4:13 (I can do all things with Him who gives me strength). I thought it would be fitting for today.  Our next verse goes along with our character quality of the week, it is John 15:13, Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  We will also be reviewing each verse on the ride home from school.
The other thing that we have begun, is an evening family story time.  Instead of reading whatever Princess or Scooby-Doo book right before bed, we are sitting together at the dining room table and reading a Character Sketch, it' s a collection of stories from the Bible and a story about an animal including all the really cool facts about that animal (the kids say it's like Wild Kratts!).  There are four stories from the Bible and four animals for each character quality. I grew up hearing these stories and learning about these animals, I'm really happy to have these Character Sketches that my parents used with us.  The kids are also coloring the matching page of each animal while I read the story, which they really enjoy.  Because Awana/Youth Group will be on Wednesday, we will be completing one character quality each week, this week's is character quality is Loyalty.
By the end of the year, each of the kids will have a book of 84 pictures of animals that they have learned about.  And we will have gone through 21 character qualities, and memorized at least 21 Bible verses.
See why I'm so excited about this?  
I'm am determined to leave a legacy of light in this world.

No comments: