Monday, June 4, 2012

First Stop-Auburn, NY

The flights to New York were surprisingly short.  Arriving in Syracuse, New York, we were greeted with beautiful weather, and we made the short drive to Auburn, it's a small, quaint town, maybe 30,000 people.  The first thing you notice, besides the beautiful scenery is the beautiful homes, some over 200 years old even.

Our first stop was Mi Casa Mexicana, a seriously cute little Mexican restaurant with seriously great food!  We hadn't eaten all day, and had been up since 3am, so it really hit the spot.  After great Mexican food, a nap is in order, so power nap, then onto Hoopes Park for my Uncle Tom's wedding rehearsal.

I was so excited to see my uncle and cousin, I had never met my cousin, and I hadn't seen my uncle in over 20 years.  I had tried to get in touch with them a few times, and only recently found them on Facebook.  It was so great to finally hug them!

Rehearsal, followed by the rehearsal dinner...wonderful food,
and some laughs!

After the rehearsal we went over to Uncle Tom and my soon-to-be Aunt Pat's house.  It was really great to see the home they have been working so hard on.  Interesting to me is that it was my Uncle Tom's first house, he has always lived in New York and in an apartment.  They bought a beautiful old house there in Auburn, it was so inviting and beautiful, they have done a great job with it.  

I was so happy to get to spend a little more time with them.  Pat is from an Italian family, and true to her heritage, she fed us.  Some AMAZING Italian cookies!  Also fun was getting to try Ted, Sara's (Pat's daughter) boyfriend's blueberry wine.  Yum! 

I loved getting to know my family better, talking more with each of them really was what I had most been looking forward to.  Meeting Keith's girlfriend, Pia, all the way from Denmark, was really great, and maybe the next reason I travel to New York?  Did I hear wedding bells?


While waiting for the afternoon wedding we found a great place for lunch.  Curley's Pizza, seriously huge servings, seriously good food.  And, obviously because of the company, seriously fun!  Honestly, the place could have been terrible, and we still would have had fun!


 If you're ever in the neighborhood, there in Auburn, NY., I would definitely recommend a visit to Curley's, there is definitely an old pub feel that is completely authentic, not just decor.


The next day, my Uncle Tom married the sweetest woman, Pat, she really embraced us all so warmly.  I'm always excited to get more family, especially family like Sara and Pat!

It was just the perfect weather for an outdoor wedding, I mean, really, just gorgeous!  This is some of my favorite pics of the day.  This is my Dad and Uncle Tom, together again after 20 years...I LOVE this picture!
Mom, Dad, Uncle Tom, and my new Aunt Pat!








Then there was the reception....ah yeah!
  My cousin, Keith!




Me, Rob, Mom, and Dad, a good lookin crew!











There was some crazy-awesome dancing, but no one seemed to get a good pic of the sweet moves going on!  Where there is a band and a dance floor there you find my family!  Rob and Josiah watch with complete jealousy having not been blessed with this Kemper gene!  Hahaha!  More like in horror that they married into this crazy clan!  What a great night!

No comments: