Friday, October 19, 2007

Decorating Sense

I have done something wonderful in the kitchen and it isn't cooking, but it is RED HOT! Okay, that was HORRIBLY cheesy, but kinda funny too! This is a picture of my kitchen before, white, white, white. Not no more-it's RED! The white was depressing me, and since I was hoping to be building and post-flood it's gonna be awhile, I made this space my own again. It was orange before the flood, pumpkin spice actually and Rob really liked it that color, and he hates change, but I got him to go for red instead, and we both are crazy about it (I'm so glad he's not seeing red about the red!(again horribly cheesy, but kinda funny too!)). I had seen on a decorating show that you could buy the scraps from a drapery fabrication shop really cheap, so I scoped it out and found the gorgeous fabrics in the picture for $7 for the lot of it, and this is the good stuff as far as fabrics go. I found the paint when I was at the hardware store for something else and it was sitting there calling to me, and I could not deny, it was the perfect red, I had no idea though how perfect. Upon returning home I found the red to be the EXACT color of my sheets that I made my chair slipcovers from! I kid you not! I did even get a "cool" from Keith when he got home! I think the red makes everything else pop in the room. Okay, so my "hot kitchen makeover" has cost me a total of $28.60. Here's how it broke down- $7 for fabrics, $12 for paint, $3 for a skinny roller (much easier for between cabinets), $4 for rods and $2.60 for buttons to cover for the valances. This decorating when you're broke can be done, and I know one thing for sure, God does care about my wants, because He knew how much I wanted to make this house look like home again, and what do you know, the perfect paint and the perfect fabric, right there waiting for me! The "little" things are not lost on me, I know that my faithfulness is rewarded, and He is always faithful. You can see in the second "after" picture that my "office" is in the kitchen, where I am blogging to you from! I have my autumn screen saver, which just happens to match my kitchen , I know! I think my sister has a gallon of green paint in her garage that might just be the perfect color for my dining room, seriously, I'll let you know! And, of course you gotta know there's something laying around somewhere that I can hang on those big 'ol french doors that are so white and plain right now! Maybe some branches out back, or I may weld something iron-KIDDING, wouldn't it be cool if I could though, the branches, I mean (HA!). Okay, each your heart out Miss Martha!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey, if you TRULY get the desire to weld (which can be very fun and creative!), then come on out to our place - Brian has a weldor complete with the weldor's helmet, etc. - if you don't have your own weldor that is. :)

P.S. I'm glad you like your new kitchen look - I like it - especially the computer nook - perfect!

Winter said...

AHHHH! FABULOUS! I'm comin over!

Renae said...

hey...so great! I recently painted one wall of my LR, dining room and all my kitchen RED :0) so pretty!

nates5bs said...

Beautiful! My house always feels more like home with color on the walls. My kids call it the rainbow house! I say, "Why not? It's just paint and if I don't like it, i can change it!"