Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Teaching God's Love

I have been trying my best to be very sensitive to God's voice in my life, and I believe I heard Him loud and clear the other day, and at the risk of weird looks and possible embarrassment, I did exactly what He said.
I am teaching Ethan about God's love and showing kindness to others by using a gift to show the worth of a person. Tuesday morning it was a whopping 17 degrees out by 8 am and we were running AHEAD of time, that doesn't happen very often. None the less, we were, after dropping Grace at school we drove by a bus stop where there were several people, freezing, waiting on the bus, that's when I heard Him, I stopped at the gas station on the corner and bought four cappuccinos, and then told Ethan, we were going to find four people waiting for the bus or walking down the street and give each of them one of these hot drinks. Ethan thought this was crazy and asked why, of course, and then I got to explain how God's us and how we can show God's love to others by being kind and giving them a gift and today our gift was something to warm them up. Then of course, how would we give it to them, what would we say and so on.
The first person we saw walking down the street was a guy in his early twenties and I park in the parking lot next to him and ask him if I could give him something, I left the truck door open so that Ethan could hear what I said, I told him that my son and I wanted to help warm him up a little and tell him that God loves him. Of course I got the standard, "Are you nuts?" look, but he accepted and Ethan was thrilled!
Off to find our next recipient, a woman in her mid thirties, waiting for a bus, she was surprised, and accepted with a smile, Ethan was so happy and by now was bouncing up and down in the backseat anxious to find someone else in the cold!
Around the corner, we did! A young guy maybe 18, we stopped and told him what we were doing and wanted him to know that God loves him. Such a big smile came across his face, and he watched us drive off, waving to Ethan as we went, we turned the corner again and he was still smiling, Ethan was so happy and told me that "God's love really made that guy happy, did you see his smile, Mommy?" Seriously, tears in my eyes, "yes, I saw, isn't that great how we can show God's love", I felt great success in this lesson I was trying to teach my son.
Off to find the fourth person, we say an gentleman in very worn clothes, in an old jacket walking, he was actually the first person we saw on that street walking, I stopped the car and got out to talk to him, but he was not receptive, and picked up his pace and kept walking. When I got in the car Ethan has questions, I was expecting them. I tried to explain the best I could why someone would not want a gift that was free, which also tied in nicely to talking about Jesus' free gift for us!
The last person we found was a woman who did not seem to speak very good English, she was probably more than 50 and was Asian, at best guess. She greeted me with a smile, and I explained the best I could, but I'm not sure that she understood more than, "God loves you", which was all we wanted really wanted her to know. Our mission was completed, Ethan was very pleased and I felt that I had taught him this lesson to the best of my ability.

Thank you, God for such a wonderful idea and for your perfect plan for our Tuesday morning, what a blessing to share with my son!

3 comments:

Renae said...

Beautiful picture of God's love Winter~brought tears to my eyes

Tracy said...

Awesome! - I'm in tears here. :)

What a beautiful God-given idea. And an interesting analogy of whether we want to recieve God's gift of love.

Great post!

Heidijayhawk said...

awesome winter! god talks to us al of the time and i struggle with trying to push it to the back when i "don't have time". i'm so proud of you for listening and acting in God's love!