Thursday, September 6, 2007

Father/Daughter's New York 2007

My WONDERFUL father just out did himself! My sister's and I went this past week to New York City with my Dad. We had so much fun, I could let the pictures speck for themselves! We really did it up right! It is so funny, right after we got off the plane, in the airport we saw so many New York cleshays, we laughed out loud, and in the taxi on the way to the hotel we went past a car blaring Frank! Arriving on Thursday night we went to a really great BBQ place that I found online, Virgil's Real BBQ on 44th, it was REAL good! I believe the tell tale sign on some good BBQ is that they have hand towels for napkins! We tried a little beef, a little chicken, a little ham and the ribs! The "Train Wreck" fries are awesome, and all the sides we tried we're great. My Dad is a chocolate shake expert, and the shakes here are really good! They brought us warm rags to clean up our BBQ faces and hands after dinner, very nice. Following our great BBQ experience we headed to the Empire State Building, for some breath-taking views. It was close to 10pm by the time we got there, and you couldn't tell from the amount of traffic and people on the streets if it was 3pm or 10pm and you couldn't tell the time of day unless you looked up past the skyscrapers, because the city lights were so bright! I really recommend the guided tour, via hand held recordings, it was neat to hear about what you were seeing, and pointing out the points of interests, gave you a real sense of the city. Something we did that may sound geeky is we took the Gray Line Tour buses, this is a must to really see the city I think, double decker, open top buses all over the city with a guide to tell you whats what, it was great, we went all over, and you can hop on/ hop off all over too, that was great. We went by ferry to Ellis and Island and saw the Statue of Liberty. She's a beauty! Again, the hand held guided tour is a must, especially for a history lover like me! Dinner on Friday night was another great experience, we went to Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House, which is right near Rockefeller Center, we actually were overlooking Radio City Music Hall, great view. The food was again, incredible, we tried each others steaks and agreed that it was the best steak any of us had ever had! Our evening was complete with fantastic production of "Grease" at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on 47th, just off Broadway. It was so fun, like seeing friends in a production, because of the TV series, "You're the One That I Want", we felt like we knew Laura and Max and we even saw Laura's parents and sister there, a few rows in front of us! We had great seats and I got a t-shirt! Now, you must know that every day we did some shopping and my Dad, he was so great about it, he gave us a little spending cash and we each felt like princesses every minute of our trip! He is THE BEST! He found a comfy chair wherever we went and waited all the while with a smile on his face, we must have been hilarious to watch going to and fro in Sak's and Macy's ! Did you know there IS a difference between a GAP t-shirt and a $300 t-shirt at Sak's, so SOFT! We had to ride one of those bicycle driven carts, we raced, that was fun (Andrea and I won!)! Saturday we had the Italian food experience, (notice I call these experiences and not meals!) it was at Carmine's on 44th around the corner from Times Square. What an experience that was, the food, amazing, and fun, it's family style meals and so you get a little of everything. We did the manicotti, a 38 oz steak and the meatballs, wow, wow and wow! The manicotti is something to write home about, savory like cheesecake, I swear! When in New York you must try a hot dog vendor, very good, very New York, we had ours in line to get on the ferry to Ellis Island. I might mention that it's a good idea to pick out ahead of time all restaurants and make reservations ahead too, you'll have the best "experiences" in food that way! The Lion King at the Minskoff Theatre on Broadway was just so incredible, really, it is no wonder it has been running so long, my favorite in the show were the giraffes, the costumes and drama of the stage was just amazing. For brunch on Sunday we went to the Rainbow Room at the top of the Rockefeller Building, the view alone was worth the wait! I could have had me a McD's with that view and been perfectly happy, but instead there was this incredible buffet, fit for royalty and we revelled at the sight of the little masterpieces they put out for us to eat! Now, if that wasn't all, we went on a dinner cruise on a little thing called a yacht, and oh my goodness, talk about breathtaking views, we went sailing around the city via the water ways and saw the most spectacular views New York has to offer! There was dancing in the hull and my Dad busted a move with us on the the dance floor! It was the perfect last night in New York. Every day in itself was the best day ever. We had such a great time and I couldn't say thank you enough to my dad, you're the best, I love you, Dad!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Oh, I am so, so happy for you! What a blessed time - I hope you hold the memories forever in your heart. :) I, myself, have a dream of going to NYC someday - haven't been yet - I want to be one of those goofy people waving on the "Today Show". ha!

You have such an awesome Dad, too. Lucky girl, Lucky girl! :)