Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mom's Here!

You know I'm gonna be excited! She called me yesterday morning and said "Guess what I'm doing" (this being my mom on the phone she could have been getting ready to jump out of a plane or climb Mt.Everest!), "I don't know", I replied. "I'm driving to Topeka", YEAH! She's staying for another whole week and I have a feeling it has something to do with a certain grand baby of hers starting to walk while she was in Ireland last week! This week though no laying of floors or other major projects, just a vacation, can you blame me, I'm just burnt out! My Mom, the "Energizer Bunny", would, I'm sure be up for it, if I really wanted to get something done, but I DON'T, sitting on the couch eating bon-bons is more what I'm thinking (yeah right). But I did take a 20 minute power nap on THIS- THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!
Yes, all my elder children were out the door to the first day of the school year. Keith was first, I think I saw a glimmer of excitement for being a "top dog" at his school this year. Grace and Ethan wanted to ride their bikes to school, so the four of us rode to school because it was a beautiful morning and then I rode back to pick them up in the HEAT at 3:30! My bad, but boy, they felt grown-up getting to ride bikes to school. This was Ethan's first day of kindergarten, and I thought I would be more emotional, pre-school was worse for me actually, Ethan did want me to stay there with him, but Zach on my hip, I had to go, he understood, and thinking his teacher is sooooo pretty he agreed to stay by himself.
They each had wonderful , full days to tell us all about when they got home! I actually was folding laundry while Zach was taking a nap and I noticed the quiet and for a minute, I missed them. They are going to have a great year, I know it. So much determination and so much learning and growing to do, they can't wait for tomorrow.
Yesterday, Grace's only advice for the new student at her school (Ethan) was that he had to "quit doing gross stuff, or you're gonna get in trouble, like picking your nose, you gotta stop that", to which Ethan very seriously vowed, "I'll try", which was not good enough for this big sister, "Don't try, just do it!". "Okay!" he said, with a roll of his eyes!

2 comments:

The Mama said...

We always have those moments when we're away from our children that we really miss them. But luckily, we stay so busy while they're gone that we don't have much more than that one moment to dwell on missing them. Well, congrats on everybody's first day.

Tracy said...

Hi Winter - you made me laugh out loud. Love the "gross stuff" story. ha! :)