Monday, September 17, 2012

A Less Than Great Morning

This morning Zach said something that hit me smack between the eyes, and maybe it was because this morning was a really rough one, but I couldn't even hold back the tears when he said it. 

Today started with me hitting the snooze, not once, but 3 times, followed by my first attempt to wake up the four kids, then climbing into bed with Zach who looked especially snugly this morning.  I only had a few minutes of snuggles before I had to go and try to wake up the other three again, Ethan climbed down from his bunk, and Grace finally climbed out of hers, but then Faith wanted to snuggle, so I climbed in with her for a few minutes.  That was the pleasant part of the morning, it quickly went down hill from there.

Faith threw a fit and insisted on taking a shower with me.  After we got out of the shower, Zach was in my bed, still not dressed and I could hear Ethan in the kitchen already very vocal (this is a bad sign when it comes to him).  Then Zach quickly got dressed and I got Faith ready, and in the process of getting myself ready I could hear yelling and fighting coming from the kitchen (GROAN!). 

I was checking backpacks and found Ethan's Pokemon cards (that I despise, but have allowed), he had been warned about taking things like that to school, and I told him last time after I took them away for two weeks for the same offense that they would go in the trash next time.  So this time I knew I had to follow through also, it really did pain me to do that, but I have to teach him a lesson.

Grace wandered down 10 minutes late, we didn't work on our Bible verse or pray, instead we rushed out the door with Ethan stomping all the way, Faith saying she didn't want to go to school, and Zach complaining that he didn't want to eat hot lunch. 

On the way to school, I was asking Ethan why he chose to disobey, why did he think that it was a good decision, and so on.  Then the car got very quiet and that's when Zach said, "Mommy, can you turn on God?".  Now I knew that he was referring to the radio station that we usually listen to on the way to school, but it hit me like a ton of bricks.  In all the chaos of this morning, I had neglected the most important part of our day, I had left God out. 

This weekend I was blessed to attend the Kansas-Nebraska Southern Baptist Association's Wonderful Weekend for Woman, and as the way with these kinds of conferences, you come back energized and pumped up, but as is Satan's way, he throws distractions in your direction in all sorts of ways to throw you off course.

Yesterday I did a much better job staying determined, today, not so much.  My desire is to stay focused on His goals for me.  I am still trying to wrap my brain around everything I took in over the weekend, so I hope to share more about that soon.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Praying for you, just know we all have these days. The cool part is that your eyes are open to see when God is speaking through your kids because your tuned into to HIM. Your a GREAT mom and we all have days like this otherwise we wouldn't need to rely on God.
Love you!
MOPS TOMORROW!!!! YAY!!!!!